Roasted Vegetable Sauce

I have so much squash at my house right now.  Yellow squash, pumpkins, zucchini butternut squash and spaghetti squash.  The garden season has come to a close and we have gathered in all of the vegetables remaining.  The only problem is, I can barely keep up with all of the produce. 

Yesterday, I decided to experiment a little and I made a roasted vegetable pasta sauce.  It was quite good- and VERY healthy, too. 

Here is what I did

1/2 butternut squash
1 minced onion
2-3 cups of halved plum tomatoes
4 cloves minced garlic
olive oil


Half the squash and tomatoes.  Put everything on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
Roast at 375 for about an hour- until the squash is tender.  It will smell absolutely heavenly! 


Scoop the squash out of the shell into the blender.  (I roasted the whole squash, but only used half of it for the sauce, save the rest to eat some other tasty way.) Put in tomatoes & onions from the pan as well.  Add in some broth to thin enough to puree- I used chicken- but any kind would work. Puree until a saucy consistency.  Add in 1/4 c. parmesan cheese and mix again. I also seasoned it with some sage & a dash of nutmeg, salt & pepper.   


Serve over pasta with some more parmesan & maybe some meatballs... Yum! 

Here is the face of someone who liked it:




Comments