Sweet Potato, Black Bean, & Quinoa Veggie Burgers


With Memorial Day & Father's Day we tried out a new kind of burger in our house. I have always wanted to try and make some homemade veggie burgers. This is a recipe that I found, but changed quite a bit to suit my tastes. I was so pleased with the results, and so was my family!
Ingredients:
2 large roasted sweet potatoes 
1/3 c. Quinoa
1 c. oats 
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 diced green onion
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
Juice from 1 lime
vegetable oil for cooking
8 hamburger buns- I used King's Hawaiian
toppings- avocado or guacamole, tomato or salsa, lettuce, sprouts, ketchup, cheese
Instructions:
Roast the sweet potatoes  30 to 40 minutes. Remove the skin when cooled. Cook the quinoa. Grind the oats.  Use a food processor to grind the oats until the flakes are broken up, but not fine. 
 
In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Use a potato masher or big spoon to mix well. It’s fine if the black beans get smashed.
If possible, cover and refrigerate (the patties will hold together better if chilled first).
Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the mixture. Shape it into a patty about 3-4" in diameter. Use your hands to gently flatten the burgers. You should end up with 8-10.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook each patty until browned and heated through- 3 to 4 minutes per side. I cooked mine on a griddle with no oil and it worked great, too.
Toast the buns if desired. I used King's Hawaiian buns and they were so great with the sweet potato burgers.  Top with desired toppings and serve. 

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kings Hawaiian.
The opinions and text are all mine.