Homemade Pita Bread


When I was in college, I did a semester abroad in Israel.  It was such a great experience.  Because of it I really grew to love the food.  One thing we did, that I will never forget, was visit a bakery that made fresh pita bread.  It went through this conveyor belt type oven and when it came out it was all puffed up and hot & fresh.  We got to try one hot out of the oven.  It was the best ever!  Ever sonce, I have had a hard time eating the store bought bread.  I prefer to make it whenever I make falafel or other Mediterranean foods.  It's not very difficult- but it will really heat up your kitchen!  Give it a try.  You won't regret it!


Pita Bread

4 c. flour
1- 1 ½ c. warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil

Mix flour salt and yeast. Add water and knead. Add oil and knead again. Put in a greased bowl , cover and allow to double in size. Knead again, let rise until doubled again. Cut into balls and cover with a cloth for another half hour. Roll balls flat and let rise again. Preheat oven to 550 degrees. Bake for 5-8 minutes.

Comments