Tastes of Israel


I did a study abroad in Israel during college. I loved the traditional foods over there & bought a cookbook before coming home. I often make falafel sandwiches for dinner. I have made the falafel from scratch, but it is incredibly time-consuming & does not always turn out well. So, I have decided the box mix works best for me. You can find them in any health food store- or the health-food section in many grocery stores. ( I usually bake rather than fry them & they are still very good.) Then you put it all in pita bread & eat like a sandwich or wrap. Here are recipes for the rest of the meal. It is absolutely delicious!


Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
2-3 cloves garlic
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
water
Dash of paprika
Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If too thick add a little water. Decorate with olive oil, parsley, and paprika.



Arab Salad

2 tomatoes
3 cucumbers
1 green onion
¼ c. fresh lemon juice
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
fresh chopped parsley

Chop tomatoes, cucumbers and onion very fine. Combine all ingredients.



Cucumber with Yogurt Sauce

3 med. Cucumbers, peeled and finely chopped
2 c. plain yogurt
2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp dry mint, crushed
Mix all together serve with falafel.

Comments