Cafe Rio Recipes

For non-Utah people, Cafe Rio is a staple food around here. We love our Cafe' Rio!! So when my sister got copies of the recipes last year, we were pretty excited. We did it all for family dinner about a year ago. It is all fantastic. I actually haven't made it since. We are doing it again tomorrow, though. We like to get those un-cooked tortillas from Costco & cook those up with it. It makes it taste even more authentic.

This is first recipe by request of my sister, Mara- I had to do a little searching for it. I have had the Cafe' Rio copy-cat recipes for a while, but did not have the recipe for this dressing. I haven't tried it yet...plan on doing it for dinner tomorrow, but here it is. I will let you know how I like it. I usually get the creamy dressing at Cafe' Rio, but when I tried the vinaigrette, I did like it. Any vinaigrette lovers out there, if you try it, let me know how it compares.


Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette Dressing
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 c. fresh chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 small jalepeno, seeded & diced

Combine in blender or food processor.


Shredded Chicken
5 lbs chicken breasts
1 small bottle zesty Italian dressing
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
3 cloves garlic

Mix all ingredients together in a large crock-pot. Cook on high for 5-7 hours. Remove chicken & shred. Reserve a small amount of juice and pour over shredded chicken.


Shredded Pork
3.5 lb pork roast
1 bottle taco sauce (8 oz)
1 Tbsp cumin
1 c. brown sugar
1 can Coke (not diet)

Cook roast in crock-pot on high for 3 hours with ½ c. water. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 3 more hours on low. Shred.


Cilantro-Lime RiceIn a saucepan sauté
2 Tbsp butter
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic

In a large pot, boil:
6 2/3 c. water
8 tsp chicken bouillon
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 small cans diced green chiles
1 Tbsp lime juice
½ tsp pepper
3- 3 ½ c. rice


Pico de Gallo4 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 white onion, diced
¼ bunch cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper


Creamy Tomatillo Dressing1 pkg Ranch dressing mix
1 C. buttermilk
1 C. mayo
3 tomatillos
2 cloves minced garlic
½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
1 small jalepeno, seeds removed

Blend together in blender

Comments

Balagna Bunch said…
Karyn,
How long and what do you do to the tomatillo to roast it? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Camie
Unknown said…
No, I actually don't roast them. I just skip that step. Not a dumb question. I should have explained it.

Heat the oven to broil. Lay the whole tomatillos baking sheet lined with foil. Set the pan 4 inches below the broiler and let roast until the tomatillos are softened and splotchy black in places (the skins will split), about 5 minutes; Flip over the tomatillos and roast the other side for another 4 or 5 minutes or so.
Anonymous said…
that vinaigrette dressing was amazing! Thank you for searching, that is one i will keep in the fridge at all times!
Kelley Flint said…
I'm so excited for the vinaigrette dressing. I've been wanting that recipe for so long but could only ever find the creamy dressing. I can't wait to try. I sure do miss Cafe Rio.
What else do you put on the salad? Lettuce, pork and pico de gallo? We only hit Cafe Rio once a year and I can't remember what is on the salad. It sounds good!
Sandi said…
I KNOW this is a dumb question. But... I have never bought Taco Sauce. Do you find in near the salsa/picante sauce and taco shells? In the Mexican isle?
Sandi said…
Any recipes for the sauce Cafe Rio puts ON their burritos?
Unknown said…
Sandi, not a dumb question... It is in the section near salsa, yes. It is in a small glass bottle usually.