Crispy Wontons


I used this recipe in my foods class when I was teaching. They are so good. I just love them! My students all loved them, too. This can be good as an appetizer or as a main course with other things on the side.


¼ lb ground pork or beef
2-4 water chestnuts, diced
1/4 c. shredded cabbage
1 green onion, chopped
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cornstarch
½ tsp soy sauce
dash of pepper
1 pkg. wonton wrappers

Sauté meat until browned. Add remaining ingredients. Place 1 tsp of filling on each wrapper. Fold wrapper according to package directions. Cook in 1" of hot oil until golden brown. (I don't like to make fried food-even though they taste amazing that way, so I spray them with a little oil & bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until crispy. Dip in sweet & sour sauce.


Sweet & Sour Sauce:

¼ c. sugar
¼ c. water
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp soysauce

Combine in small sauce pan. Stir until cornstarch dissolves. Cook on medium heat until boiling & starts to thicken.
Cream Cheese Wontons:
Another option I really like is to make the wontons with a little cream cheese in them. Season with a little garlic a touch of soy sauce & some chopped green onions (sorry this is one of my non-recipes) Put a little spoonful in & cook lie above. They are REALLY good!

Comments