Ratatouille



I was watching this movie after it came out & realized I had never eaten Ratatouille. I decided to look up a recipe. The funny thing was this recipe was on the top search on Yahoo during that time. I guess lots of other people had the same idea. If you grew zucchini in your garden here is a good use for it! It was husband approved, which is always a good thing.


16 oz grated mozzarella cheese
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes (or 1 can & 1 jar tomato sauce, that's what I did)
1 tsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp fresh, chopped basil
salt & pepper
1 1/2 c. grated parmesan
1/4 c. crushed ritz crackers
Cook meat & vegetables together with a little oil. Mix in tomatoes & seasonings. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Mix together the parmesan chees & the cracker crumbs in a bowl. Spread half of the vegetable mixture in a casserole dish. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over. Spread the remaining vegetables and top with parmesan & cracker crumbs.
Bake @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta.

Comments

dastew said…
Two years in France and I can honestly say that I hate Ratatouille. I just never found the texture pleasing. That said I've never seen a recipe that called for no eggplant and added sausage before. Yours is a first and honestly what doesn't sausage improve?
Unknown said…
yeah, I altered the recipe a bit. I really don't like eggplant. And the sausage adds a fabulous flavor.
Anonymous said…
oh my gosh, that is so funny. I never knew it was a real recipe. when you said you had never eaten it, i was like ' "duh...it does not exist!" How crazy, what a great play on words