Coconut Bread


A neighbor brought this tasty bread over to us during Christmas time. My husband loved it so much that he begged me to get the recipe & make it every day since. Yesterday, that sweet neighbor dropped by the recipe, and another loaf. Wehn I told my husband he literally ran to the kitchen to get some. I think I'll be getting requests for this very often. I'm not a huge coconut lover, but I really liked this bread, too.


3 c. flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp coconut extract
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Glaze:
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
2 tsp butter
1 tsp coconut extract

Cream eggs, oil, sugar & extract. Add dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk while mixing. Fold in coconut & nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan & bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

For the glaze:
Bring sugar, water & butter to a boil in a saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes & remove from heat. Add coconut extract. Pour over bread while hot. Let the bread stand in the pan for 3 hours before removing.

Comments