Squashed Butternut Sauce Over Pasta


I saw this recipe in this month's UV Magazine. I really, really want to try it, so today when I go to the grocery store I'm getting a butternut squash. Sometimes our Costco has butternut squash already cubed, so it's really easy to make. I love the stuff! This is a great recipe to disguise a vegetable for those non-veggie lovers. Squash is a new-found love for me. I never ate it growing up but adore it now. I've been working hard to add new vegetables into my diet- if you've never tried it, give it a chance!

1 c. butter
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dill seed
1 2lb butternut squash, peeled & diced
5 cubes chicken bouillon dissolved into 3 c. water (or 2 cans broth)
2 c. heavy cream
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 lb cooked pasta


Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat (I'll probably reduce the butter, since there is cream in it, too. No need for so much extra fat, even though it tastes great). Stir in garlic, salt, pepper & dill. Add squash & stir. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes, until squash is very tender. Pour squash into a blender & blend until pureed. Pour sauce back into the saucepan. Add broth, cream, & remaining spices. Stir & simmer to blend spices.

If too thin, mix 3 Tbsp flour with 3 Tb water & stir into the sauce to thicken. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly, to thicken.

Serve on top of your favorite pasta.
I think it'd be really good to add some cooked chicken in with this recipe, to make it a main dish.

Comments

kidsmom said…
This sounds delicious! I am going to add this to my menu.