Asian Honey-Barbecue Tilapia

How's that for an appetizing picture?

Ok, so let me begin by explaining something. I have had fish phobia my whole life. I grew up in Florida, but always hated any seafood (I know- crazy!). I think because of the smell...I'm not too sure why. Mostly, I never tried any of it. I have since learned some of the amazing health benefits of eating fish & have tried to learn to like. I have finally succeeded. I have overcome my mental fear of fish. It started with this salmon recipe. Then I slowly started braving a few other things. Now, I actually crave it-huge accomplishment for me.


Asian Honey-Barbecue Tilapia

1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1/3 c. minced onion
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. soy sauce
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled & grated
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 jalepeno peppers, seeded & finely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp water
4 Tilapia filets

Combine all except the tilapia. Place in baking dish & bake @ 425 for about 12 minutes, until flaky.

I actually grilled mine instead of baking it. I took a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil & folded up the edges to make it like a pan- this holds in the juices. I put the foil right onto the grill & cooked it about 15 minutes @ med-high heat. It was fabulous!

p.s.
a great ginger tip I learned recently: I don't know about you, but I don't usually use up all of my fresh ginger before it goes bad. to fix this, peel all of your ginger & freeze it. Then you can pull it out, grate what you need & return it to the freezer. It gives you fresh ginger when needed without waste. In my opinion, fresh is always better than dried.

Comments

Kristi said…
I have a bunch of Tilapia in the freezer from Costco, this recipe inspired me to maybe eat it finally!