Potato Crescent Rolls

These are a holiday staple at our house. I thought I had posted these long ago & during Thanksgiving I was informed that they were not on my blog. I am sorry to anyone who needed them!! They originally came from my Aunt Becky. I know this because it say's on my Mom's recipe card "Becky's Rolls". Don't you love your Mom's old recipe cards? I think someday I may (in all my spare time) scan in some of my favorites of hers and my Grandma's. Anyways, on to the recipe.



Potato Rolls

1 c. warm milk
1 c. instant mashed potatoes
1 Tbsp yeast
½ c. warm water
2/3 c oil
1 tsp salt
½ c. sugar
2 eggs
6 c. flour

Mix 1 c. milk with 1 c. potatoes. Mix yeast with warm water and stir to dissolve. Put a pinch of sugar in this and let it set until activated (bubbly on top). Mix potatoes, oil, salt, & sugar. Add yeast and eggs. Mix and add flour a little at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky. Let it rise until doubled- about 1 hour. Separate dough into 4 even sections. Roll out on a floured surface and put about 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil on the dough rub it out evenly. Cut into 8 crescent shapes (like a pizza). Roll up and pinch ends. Bake 15 min at 400 degrees.



Healthier version- This is what we usually make now. I know we severly disappointed my brother on Thanksgiving when the potato rolls were wheat! So we had to make some fresh white ones the next day for him. I however, prefer the wheat version.

4 c. wheat flour, 2 c. white, reduce sugar to ¼ c. increase salt to 2 tsp, add ground 2 Tbsp flax seeds. Delicious this way, too!

Comments