4 to 6 servings
- Oil or ghee -- 2 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped -- 1
- Garlic, minced -- 6 cloves
- Gingerroot, minced -- 1 tablespoon
- Coriander, ground -- 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper (optional) -- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
- Spinach, chopped -- 1 pound
- Water -- 1 cup
- Salt -- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Yogurt -- 1 cup
- Cream (optional) -- 1/4 cup
- chicken, cooked and cubed
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large pot or saucepan over medium flame. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool a bit. Then use a blender or food processor to puree in batches.
- Return the puree to the pot. Add Chicken. Add a little water if necessary and simmer another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt and return to brief simmer and immediately remove from heat. Stir in the optional cream, adjust seasoning and serve.