Chocolate Zucchini Bread


Yesterday was one of those days.  I think a lot of you will know what kind of day I am talking about.  The kind of day when you wake up thinking about what kind of warm gooey chocolatey thing you can eat.  But, you resist in the morning and in the afternoon, too.  Finally, by dinner time you can hardly take it anymore.  Instead of what to make for dinner, you look for what dessert you can make.  I had it planned way ahead of dinner.  I knew I was going to make this recipe. Or, maybe I am the only one who thinks this way... I had sick kids whining and a crying baby hanging on my leg through every step of making it, but I got it made. (That sounds awful.  I wasn't ignoring them.  It's just what they do at dinner time.)  Boy, am I glad I did!  This bread is amazing.  I am still enjoying it, thanks to the fact that it makes 2 loaves.  The first was almost gone last night.  Luckily, I have a whole bunch of zucchini in my freezer leftover from my garden in  the summer. 

I got this recipe from Our Best Bites.  I have loved everything I have made from these girls!

2 c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c. veg. oil
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. sour cream
3 c. grated zucchini
1 c. mini chocolate chips (I just used regular ones)

Topping:
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 2 loaf pans and set aside.  Combine oil, white sugar, brown sugar, and eggs and beat until slightly fluffy.  Add vanilla and sour cream and mix well.  Stir in the zucchini.  Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide batter between 2 pans and sprinkle the topping over each. 

Bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes.  Check it at about 45 minutes.  Let it cool 5-10 minutes and remove from pans to a cooling rack.  Be sure to eat while warm and gooey.

Hope it fixes your need for chocolate like it did mine.


p.s. I had it for breakfast today, tooWhat? It has vegetables in it.  and eggs.



Comments