Ham and Potato Crockpot Breakfast

On Christmas Eve we had a ham for dinner.  Since we had extra family staying at our house, I wanted to have a nice breakfast the next morning.  However, I never want to cook on Christmas morning.  So, I decided to try out a new recipe.  After we cleaned up our dinner, I chopped up some of the ham and made this casserole.  You cook it overnight in the crockpot and it is ready for you in the morning.  It was delicious!  I loved waking up to a wonderful smelling breakfast already made for me. (I actually started smelling it in the middle of the night.  My father-in-law thought I was up at 3 cooking.  Yeah, right!)  Plus- best part- it was so simple to throw together.

Here is the recipe:

1 dozen eggs
1 bag frozen hash browns
1 diced onion
1 diced green bell pepper
2 cups grated cheddar or jack cheese
1 lb cooked ham or bacon
1 c. milk
salt & pepper

Layer the hash browns, diced veggies, meat and cheese- I did about 3 layers of each.  Beat the eggs, milk, salt & pepper.  After all of the other ingredients are layered, pour the eggs and milk over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-12 hours.  Mine cooked for 12 hours and it was wonderful.

Note: To simplify even more, buy the o'brien hash browns with the onions & peppers already in it.



Comments

Jen Nelson said…
I love this recipe idea. I would love to try it even just as a dinner option too.
Unknown said…
I'm definitely going to try this. My husband leaves for work very early in the morning, and this would save me from having to cook for him at such early hours.
Misty.