Crispy Coconut Chicken Salad

Years ago, when my husband and I were first married we used to eat at TGI Friday's a lot.  There was a coconut chicken on the menus that my husband ordered pertty much every time we went.  One time when we got there they had changed the menu and it was no longer on there.  He was so upset! I was thinking about that recently & tried to make some coconut chicken for him.  This recipe is really healthy- pretty sure the other one wasn't.  This one is baked, the other was fried.  My husband LOVED it!  It was simple to make & very delicious!!  I served it over a salad with a simple homemade honey mustard dressing. 


2 skinless boneless chicken breasts- cut into strips
10-15 whole grain Ritz crackers- crunched into crumbs
1 c. flaked coconut- I uesd sweetened- but unsweetened would be good, too.
1 egg, beaten
Lettuce & other salad toppings

To make chicken: pulse crackers in a food processor until they are just crumbs.  Mix cracker crumbs with coconut.  Beat the egg in a bowl.  Dip the chicken in egg then into coconut mixture.  Place on a greased cookie sheet (or to have less mess, line tray with foil).   Bake at 375 degrees for about 35-40 minutes- until golden brown and cooked through.  Place on top of a bed of greens, carrots, tomoatoes & cucumbers (or with any of your favorite salad toppings) for a delicious main dish salad. Top with honey mustard dressing.


Easy Honey Mustard Dressing:
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp honey
2  Tbsp white wine vinegar 
1 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard










Comments

The Alchemist said…
This salad looks delicious,simple and easy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Melissa @ The Alchemist
OK this looks yummy!! I wish I didn't have dinner already prepared! Maybe tomorrow!!