Healthy Oatmeal-Carrot Breakfast Cookies

Pin It


Did you know that October 29th is National Oats Day? Quaker Oats is celebrating this day by encouraging everyone to cheer "YAY OATS!"
 
Why are oats so great?
  • They have cholesterol-lowering benefits
  • Whole grain oats have a variety of benefits from heart health to digestive health
  • The dietary guidelines for American recommend at least half of all grains consumed be whole grains- we, as Americans are not living up to that standard! Are you?
I have been trying hard to be more creative with breakfast lately. My kids seem to want the same old cereal every day. So I have started a new breakfast routine where each day of the week is a different theme.

Monday- something baked- pancakes, muffins, french toast
Tuesday- oatmeal
Wednesday- yogurt & granola or smoothies
Thursday- cereal
Friday- eggs & toast
Saturday & Sunday are their choice.

This schedule keeps the kids from getting into too much of a rut with their eating choices. Having more variety in their diet also gives them a variety of nutrients. I always give them some fruit & a glass of milk with their breakfast to round it out. It has actually helped them branch out a little & they don't always request the same old cereals anymore.

 

My latest breakfast creation, in honor of National Oats Day, is this delicious and healthy breakfast cookie. I have had this one in my head for a while since I saw something similar in a magazine a while back. But I wanted to make it much healthier so I didn't feel any guilt about giving it to my kids for breakfast. These are super healthy and delicious! It is a cross between carrot cake and oatmeal raisin cookies. I used coconut oil instead of regular oil & it gave it such a delicious flavor.

Here is how I made these delectable little breakfast cookies:

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 c. Quaker Oats
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil- melted (or canola oil)
  • 1/3 c. applesauce
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1 c. finely shredded carrots
  • 1/2 c. raisins
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp ground flax meal
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 6 oz. light cream cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. maple or agave syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions:

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, flax meal, and oats. Mix sugars, oil, applesauce, 1 tsp vanilla, egg, carrots and raisins in a separate bowl and combine with the dry ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Press the dough out to flatten so they are easier to make into sandwiches later.

Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I always tend to undercook my cookies so they stay soft longer. While cooking, mix the filling by mixing cream cheese, syrup and 1/2 tsp vanilla.

After the cookies are cooked, let them sit for a few minutes then remove from the tray to a cooling rack. When cool, fill the cookies by spreading the cream cheese filling on the flat side of the cookie- put 2 together to make a sandwich. These can be made ahead, wrapped and chilled for several days.

In honor of National Oatmeal Day on October 29th, vote for my recipe and I have a chance to be featured in the Quaker® Oats newsletter.

When you vote you will be entered to win a $1,000 gift card! Yay Oats! Official Sweepstakes Rules
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Quaker®. The opinions and text are all mine.