Chicken Enchiladas Verde


Ok, remember that Salsa Verde I posted about recently? If you liked that, you have to try this one. I made this for dinner last night & it was incredible. I had my Dad & husband begging for more. It is rare to get my husband to love any meal. He's quite picky. But this was a hit with everyone.

2-3 chicken breasts
1 onion
4 c. chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
salt
12 corn tortillas
vegetable oil
1 c. crumbled queso fresco (mexican cheese, Wal-mart carries it here)
sour cream, beans & corn (to add to tortillas if desired)
(Plus all other ingredients for the Salsa verde)

Put chicken, broth, onion, garlic, and salt in a pot and boil until shicken is cooked through. I didn't chop the onion, just quartered it. Remove cooked chicken with a slotted spoon and allow to cool. When cooled, shred it with a fork and knife.

Meanwhile, boil tomatillos with the peppers. When the tomatillos are cooked, drain them and add remaining salsa ingredients to the chicken broth pot. I used the onion and garlic from cooking the chicken in the salsa. Add the tomatillos to the broth and puree all of it in the blender.

Lightly fry the corn tortillas in a small amount of oil, this just softens them so they will fold without breaking. Put them on a plate lined wit paper towels to drain off the oil.

Pour a small amount of the salsa in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Toss a little salsa with the chicken as well. Start filing tortillas. I spread a little sour cream on them, then filled with queso fresco, chicken, corn & pinto beans. Then I filled the pan with the filled tortillas- flip them upside down so the folded side is on the bottom to keep them together better. Top with lots more salsa verde. I also topped them with a little monterey jack cheese.

Bake in oven pre-heated to 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve with even more salsa verde, (yes, it's that good) tomatoes, and any other toppings you like.

Comments

Katie said…
So you're making the salsa with the full 4 cups of chicken broth? will it be pretty thin? I want to be sure I don't get this wrong - it sounds so good!
Enchiladas are my hubbies favorite. I can easily substitute with our fake chicken strips for this recipe. I have only made the red sauce enchiladas...never verde... and I love salsa verde!