Image Map

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Power-Packed Foods for Runners

Print Friendly and PDF Pin It



I have decided to run a half marathon (anybody want to join me?).  The race I want to do is in June, so I have about 3 months to train and prepare my body for it.  I am super excited.  I live in the mountains- they are literally in my backyard.  This race goes just down the canyon by my house- which is breathtaking.  It should be a fun race!

I have been running off and on for a few years now.  When I was younger I always hated running.  Then, as an adult I decided to try it a little as I walked and pushed my kids in the stroller.  I started liking it more and more.  My husband really encouraged me and helped me out in the beginning.  He taught me a few things to help me along as I was learning.  We ran a 5k together.  I was so excited to have done a race!  I ran the whole thing!

The following year, I ran my first half marathon.  I was running 4-5 days a week and just pushing myself.  I didn't know how far I was really going- just had about 45 minutes to get my run done. When I started tracking my runs and saw how far I was going I was running about 5 miles each day.  I had no idea.  So, I decided to push myself a little more and do longer runs on the weekend. It's always a real challenge but is so empowering to know how far you have gone. 

Each time I have a baby, I have to start over in my training.  It's never easy to start again.  My youngest is one now and I am finally getting going again. I decided I am going to run another one.  I like how running helps me feel stronger.  It makes my body feel so good!

So what does all of this have to do with food, you ask?  :)   Well, the food I eat when I am running regularly needs to really fuel my body.  It needs to strengthen me and "do my body good".  When I make a commitment to myself that I am going to train for a race, I know that also means I am going to eat better.  I want to share some great foods to help fuel your body.  Things to give you energy.

Often after a hard workout, I love to make eggs  or smoothies for breakfast.  I like my eggs packed with veggies.  I make a little concoction that I call Rainbow Eggs.  I dice up as many different veggies as I can find to throw into my eggs. This makes for a super healthy, power-packed breakfast.  Here is my favorite combo:



Rainbow Eggs

2 diced green onions
1/4 diced bell pepper
handful of spinach, chopped
1/2 tomato diced
grated Colby-jack cheese/ or crumbled feta- both are really good in it
3 stems of chopped cilantro
1 egg
salt and pepper

First I saute the onion and pepper in a tiny bit of olive oil until they are softened.  Then I add in the egg, tomato, spinach, salt, pepper, and cilantro.  Scramble and cook until the egg is cooked through. Add in cheese just before serving.  I like using the Colby-jack cheese because it kinda holds it all together, but feta gives a great flavor.

I serve it all with a hearty piece of wheat toast. 


Here are a couple of other nutrition-packed foods to help your body be strong & healthy:

Protein-Packed Salads:
These are great for a healthy lunch or dinner  These salads are very high in nutrition & have protein to help with muscle repair. 






 Healthy Snack Ideas:






Want to start running (or walking)?  Take charge & get moving this year. You deserve to be healthy! Want to train for your own race, or join me in mine?  Here is the training schedule I am using for my half marathon:

12-Week Training Schedule


Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Week 1 3 miles off 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles 4 miles off
Week 2 3 miles off 4 miles 3 miles 3 miles 4 miles off
Week 3 3 miles off 4 miles 3 miles 3 miles 5 miles off
Week 4 3 miles off 5 miles 3 miles 3 miles 6 miles off
Week 5 4 miles off 5 miles 4 miles 3 miles 7 miles off
Week 6 4 miles off 4 miles 4 miles 4 miles 8 miles off
Week 7 4 miles off 6 miles 4 miles 4 miles 9 miles off
Week 8 4 miles off 6 miles 4 miles 4 miles 10 miles off
Week 9 4 miles off 6 miles 4 miles 3 miles 11 miles off
Week 10 4 miles off 5 miles 4 miles 4 miles 12 miles off
Week 11 4 miles off 5 miles 4 miles 3 miles 6 miles off
Week 12 3 miles off 5 miles 3 miles 2 miles RACE:
13.1 miles!
Sleep...




7 comments:

momphotographer said...

I'm actually really low on iron and 8 months pregnant so my doctor gave me pills and asked to eat more iron in my diet.
This recipe is great! I love the idea of adding spinach. It sounds really delicious. I think even my husband would eat that :)

Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

My daughter loves to run. Not only does she do marathons, but she is also a triathlete. She loves to swim and bike. Thanks for linking up. I hope you'll be back next week to link-up again.

Sandy
Cherished Handmade Treasures

Kiersten said...

Hey Karyn, I just signed myself up for a 5k which seems pretty puny compared to your half marathon, but maybe one day i can build up to it! I am excited to try some of these recipes though as I am training for my race! Good luck with the half marathon!!

Neverland Nook said...

Thanks for the invite to your linky party and I'm glad I got to see your site.. I love to run and need to get back in tip top shape as I am coaching a Girls On The Run team! I'm going to start your training schedule tomorrow! Thank you!!!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

This looks delicious! Great job on your running too! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday! I hope you'll stop back soon :)

Adrienne said...

Thanks for sharing this at Allergy Free Wednesdays! Hope to see you next week!

Anne said...

This all sounds so delicious. Thanks for sharing at Healthy 2Day Wednesday; come back tomorrow and see if you were featured!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Image Map